Back in November I took on the mouth gear issue by showing some emails that I had with a few of the prominent companies invested in oral/facial protection. I use the term “mouth gear” to isolate any device that is placed in your mouth, this is a very hot topic, especially since the football season is about to begin. If you have read that post you know my stance on the issue at hand; buyer beware.
Lets begin with some video footage of athletes wearing mouth gear;
- The first KO is textbook mechanism of injury that the mouth gear companies say they can protect against; a blow to the jaw, where the jaw bone (mandible) would slam into the skull.
- The third KO is a blow to the jaw, in a rotational axis, again companies claim they can protect against concussive injuries when a blow is received on the jaw.
- The fourth KO is a straight right to the jaw.
- The fifth KO a left to the jaw in a rotational axis.
- Should I keep going???? I think you get the point.
It’s not so much that the companies in question Continue reading