Our periodical report for The Association.
These do not occur as often as football and hockey for a couple of reasons, one; fewer players equals less incidence and two; the reporting of injuries is up to beat writers, as I have yet to find an official league injury page. I will be using the standard CBSsports.com and ESPN for compiling this information. Also to note for 2012 is the shortened season due to the lock-out.
There are only two games left (for the most part) but now might be a good time to give an update, since there is information fresh in the news cycle. Let us begin with the very good news out of Minnesota, as it seems they have listened to us here at TCB;
Kevin Love has passed all concussion tests and been cleared by the NBA to return to the court, but the Minnesota Timberwolves aren’t about to take any chances with the new face of their franchise.
The other bit of news is the stunt that Metta World Peace pulled yesterday in the Thunder/Laker game;
Metta World Peace knocked James Harden out of a Sunday afternoon game at Staples Center. It’s not clear when Harden will be able to return to the court.
The Oklahoman reported that Harden was diagnosed with a concussion after taking World Peace’s swinging left elbow to his head during the second quarter of Sunday’s game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Below is our current count of concussions in the NBA for this season (all of last year there were 12 concussions);
- Andrew Bogut – MIL – 1/16/12
- Jameer Nelson – ORL – 1/27/12
- Kyrie Irving – CLE – 2/7/12
- Lazar Hayward – OKC – 2/20/12 – Fink’s Rule
- Jason Smith – NO – 2/22/12
- C.J. Watson – CHI – 2/22/12
- Kobe Bryant – LAL – 2/29/12
- Brandon Wright – DAL – 3/5/12
- Rudy Gay – MIL – 3/12/12
- Mickeal Pietrus – BOS – 3/24/12
- Eduardo Najera – CHA – 4/7/12
- Kevin Love – MIN – 4/11/12
- Reggie Williams – CHA – 4/17/12
- Chris Johnson – NO – 4/18/12
- Andris Biedrens – GS – 4/22/12
- James Harden – OKC – 4/22/12