Welcome to the continually updated live feed from the Athletic Trainers Society of New Jersey 2nd Annual Concussion Summit. I would like to thank the ATSNJ in particular; John Furtado, Eric Nussbaum, and Mary Jane Rogers for the help in getting things set up. We are at the Wyndham Princeton Forrestal Conference Center & Hotel in a stunning amphitheater, attendance is anticipated to be high. I anticipate updating this post as soon as possible after each speaker. Follow @concussionblog for updates.
6:25am CST: Crowd flowing in with provided breakfast in hand.
6:33am CST: Jason Mihalik, PhD “Biomechanics of Concussion”;
- Concussion is a FUNCTIONAL injury not structural injury
- Brian injury a major public health concern (showing a pyramid with the head injuries on the bottom, unseen or caring on their own)
- Things that feed into Traumatic Brain Injury:
Injury Prevention (anticipation, infractions, play type, closing distance)
Kinds of impacts that cause concussion; research obviously done primarily on animals beginning in the pre 40’s. The coup-contracoup model was found by using animal models
Research moved from animal models to human analogs; wax skulls/gelatinous brains Continue reading
- Cognition, Concussion History, Postural Stability, Mechanism of Injury, Physical Exam, Symptomatology, Knowledge/Attitude
I have my itinerary confirmed, heading to the 2nd Annual Concussion Summit in New Jersey. The event is in Plainsboro, NJ put on by the ATSNJ, and provides some very “big names” in the area of concussions. However, even if you cannot make the summit on the 17th there is a chance to meet up and talk about concussions or whatever is on your mind.
#tweetup: A gathering of users brought together via Twitter. For example, at conferences, Twitter is used by attendees to arrange to meet after the show for discussion, cocktails and parties.
It would be great to meet up with anyone reading this, either Twitter types, or any person that has questions about concussions that you feel that I can answer. I hope to be able to announce more confirmations of those planning on attending in the near future.
Here are the deets: Continue reading
The Athletic Trainers’ Society of New Jersey is hosting its second annual Concussion Summit on July 17th. It is after the “early registration” however the line-up is certainly worth a look. This is the same organization that produced the very well put together tutorials on concussions, SEE HERE.
- Steve Broglio, PhD, ATC – Assessing Balance in Concussion
- Robert Cantu, MD – Long-term Effects of Concussions
- Annegret Detwiler-Danspeckgruber, EdD – Imaging Concussions: DTI and fMRI
- Ruben Echemendina, PhD, PSY – The Role of Neurocognitive Testing
- Jason Mihalik, PhD, CAT(C), ATC – Biomechanics of Concussions Continue reading