I will make this quick, would love to get some more discussion on this… If we think awareness and management are getting better, then I give you this wonderfully cited article of shots to the head in the NBA. Some have resulted in concussions but others are very interesting, especially if you read how the player reacted to the contact. From Henry Abbot of ESPN.com;
For a “noncontact” sport that allegedly doesn’t have a concussion problem, basketball sure does feature a lot of blows to the head.
A partial list just from this season:
- October 30, 2012: Dwight Howard gets a flagrant for swinging an elbow at the face of Elton Brand.
- November 2, 2012: Anthony Davis receives a concussion.
- November 5, 2012: Tyler Zeller takes a hard elbow from DeAndre Jordan causing a fractured cheek bone and concussion.
- November 7, 2012: Thomas Robinson is ejected for elbowing Jonas Jerebko in the head.
- November 28, 2012: Marvin Williams falls hard to the floor, is diagnosed with concussion.
- December 5, 2012: Thomas Robinson takes an incredibly hard blow to the head from Ed Davis.
- December 12, 2012: After a flagrant foul from David Lee, LeBron James crashes to floor, hits head.
- December 17, 2012: Tyson Chandler flagrantly fouls Jeremy Lin in the head.
- December 17, 2012: Tim Duncan misses plays, dazed by an elbow from Kendrick Perkins.
- December 17, 2012: Russell Westbrook hits his head on the floor in a scary fall.
- December 18, 2012: Anthony Davis hits his head again.
- December 18, 2012: Bradley Beal takes a very scary fall to the court.
- December 25, 2012: Metta World Peace elbows Steve Novak in the head, Novak undergoes concussion testing.
- December 26, 2012: Dwight Howard clocks Kenneth Faried in the face.
- December 31, 2012: Fab Melo is diagnosed with concussion.
- January 1, 2013: Charlie Villanueva is ejected for an elbow to the head of Isaiah Thomas.
- January 2, 2013: Festus Ezeli sends Blake Griffin hard to the floor with a flagrant foul.
- January 4, 2013: Jeremy Lin and Larry Sanders bang heads in bloody fashion.
- January 4, 2013 Kevin Garnett hits Tyler Hansbrough hard in the face, and is ejected.
- January 6, 2013: Pau Gasol takes a bloody shot to the nose that is diagnosed as a concussion and causes him to miss five games.
- January 9, 2013: Carlos Delfino, who had a serious concussion two years ago, takes a hard blow to the head and appears shaken up.
- January 26, 2013: Shannon Brown clobbers Manu Ginobili and was ejected.
- January 28, 2013: Nets rookie Tornike Shengalia is recalled from the D-League to be treated for concussion.
- January 29, 2013: Chris Kaman is out indefinitely with a concussion suffered in practice.
- February 2, 2013: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is hospitalized with a concussion resulting from colliding with a teammate.
- February 3, 2013: Metta World Peace is suspended for punching Brandon Knight in the face.
- February 5, 2013: Larry Sanders collides with a dunking Kenneth Faried in mid-air, hits the back of his head hard on the floor and leaves the game.
Now you might say, this is a physical sport. Who could be alarmed if that physicality involves the head once in a while?
The answer: Medical science.
For the record here is our list of NBA concussions: Continue reading