The Concussion Blog Original, NFL Concussion Report, is a weekly compiling of the reported head injuries in the National Football League. Concussions are added to the list each week from multiple sources to give you the reader a picture of what is happening on the field. Each week we will bring you the information along with relevant statistics. If we have missed a concussion or put one on here erroneously, let us know (we will also be using Fink’s Rule to classify a concussion/head injury). You can also view our white paper with original research about concussion reporting in the NFL from 2010-2012 HERE.
It is always interesting to see what the first week will reveal in the way of concussions. In the past we have had significant numbers (2012 – 12 and 2011 – 9) and we have had strangely low numbers (2013 – 5). During the first three weeks all teams are playing games – no byes – so, we should expect “larger” numbers because there are more players on the field. However, it should be noted that it is also very early in the season and the speculated cumulative effect of repetitive brain trauma has yet to take hold.
Over the past four years we have seen a steady incline in reported concussions each week with a spike around weeks 12-14, it will be worth following and noting as we go along. Our 2013 End of Season Report.
Other than that, I did not notice any other newsworthy incidents – well we did notice that Arizona had a concussion after going entire preseason without one – in fact I would say the conversation on broadcasts and in print were very much proactive, in terms of the injury. I sensed a lot less “pussyfooting” around with the term concussion and the evaluation of the injury. We really need this to continue.
Now is the time for the Week 1 recap of concussions (will indicate previous week);
- 7 concussions/head injuries found from Week 1 (n/a)
- 7 regular season concussions noted (n/a)
- 75 total (preseason+regular season) concussions in 2013 (n/a)
- 7.00 Concussions/week (n/a)
- 119 Projected Concussions (n/a)
- 0.46 Concussions/game (n/a)
- 8.08% InR (n/a)
- 7.02% EInR (n/a)
Running Totals for Regular Season:
- 1 Offensive (n/a) – 6 Defense (n/a)
- Positionally Speaking
- QB – 0 (n/a), RB – 1 (n/a), TE – 0 (n/a), WR – 0 (n/a), OL – 0 (n/a), DL – 0 (n/a), LB – 2 (n/a), DB – 4 (n/a), P/K – 0 (n/a)
- Team Breakdown
- SF – 2
- ARI, BUF, CIN, GB, JAX – 1
- ATL, BAL, CAR, CHI, CLE, DAL, DEN, DET, HOU, IND, KC, MIA, MIN, NE, NO, NYG, NYJ, OAK, PHI, PIT, SD, SEA, STL, TB, TEN. WAS – none
Our definition of Incidence Rate (InR) is projected concussions/46 players taking the field per team per game, our definition of Epidemiological Incidence Rate (EInR) is projected concussions/53 man roster per team.
- Comparing to past seasons the following has been found after Week 1: # (2013, 2012, 2011, 2010):
- Regular Season Concussions – 7 (5, 9, 12 , 15*)
- *our first year collecting we included week 0 concussions in the collection, this was rectified in week 2 of 2010