The Concussion Blog Original, NFL Concussion Report, is a weekly compiling of the reported head injuries in the National Football League. Concussions are added to the list each week from multiple sources to give you the reader a picture of what is happening on the field. Each week we will bring you the information along with relevant statistics. If we have missed a concussion or put one on here erroneously, let us know (we will also be using Fink’s Rule to classify a concussion/head injury). It also should be noted that due to the league not disclosing actual injuries until Friday night there may be some added to next weeks numbers.
The steady number of concussions continue, there were eight reports this week. There is not really much to say at this point about the frequency or lack of frequency of concussions; the next important date/time frame is the Week 13 report. That is when all teams will be off their bye’s and the point at which we have traditionally seen a spike in concussions.
However I do find some interesting notes about this and last week. We noted we would be interested to see how Keith Tandy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was listed on the Official Injury Report. Although there was a very credible tweet regarding his concussion, he was officially listed as “ankle”. This one example highlights the issue we have discussed with the NFL OIR, it can be difficult to ascertain all concussions just by following that data set alone. Secondly, we noted last week that the Miami Dolphins were the only team in the league without reporting a concussion from the beginning of training camp. Well, that has changed as Nolan Carroll was found this week. This means every team has now reported a concussion at some point. There are, however, three teams yet to report a regular season concussion: Arizona, Buffalo and Chicago.
Let us present the Week 9 Report (indicate previous weeks numbers);
- 8 concussions/head injuries found from Week 6 (8)
- 67 regular season concussions noted (59)
- 121 total concussions in 2013 (113)
- 7.44 Concussions/week (7.37)
- 127 Projected Concussions (125)
- 0.49 Concussions/game (.49)
- 8.60% InR (8.52)
- 7.46% EInR (7.39)
Running Totals for Regular Season:
- 34 Offensive (30) – 33 Defense (29)
- Positionally Speaking
- QB – 3 (3), RB – 7 (6), TE – 5 (5), WR – 9 (9), OL – 10 (7), DL – 6 (5), LB – 8 (7), DB – 19 (17)
- Team Breakdown
- JAX – 6
- NYJ, PIT – 5
- SD, WAS – 4
- DET, GB, OAK, SEA – 3
- CAR, CIN, HOU, KC, MIN, NE, NO, PHI, SF, TB, TEN – 2
- ATL, BAL, CLE, DAL, DEN, IND, MIA, NYG, STL – 1
- ARI, BUF, CHI – 0
Our definition of Incidence Rate (InR) is projected concussions/45 players taking the field per team per game, our definition of Epidemiological Incidence Rate (EInR) is projected concussions/53 man roster per team.
- Comparing to past seasons the following has been found after Week 9: # (2012, 2011, 2010):
- Regular Season Concussions – 67 (81, 80, 77)