The Concussion Blog Original, NFL Concussion Report, is a weekly compiling of the reported head injuries in the National Football League. Concussions are added to the list each week from multiple sources to give you the reader a picture of what is happening on the field. Each week we will bring you the information along with relevant statistics. If we have missed a concussion or put one on here erroneously, let us know (we will also be using Fink’s Rule to classify a concussion/head injury). It also should be noted that due to the league not disclosing actual injuries until Friday night there may be some added to next weeks numbers.
This year is now catching up with 2010 in terms of concussions reported in the regular season. Interestingly, this week was difficult to ferret out the numbers. There will be at least two concussions not listed on the NFL Official Injury Report due to these reasons;
- Sidney Rice was reported by the head coach to have concussion symptoms, but he is going on the IR with a knee injury.
- Will Rackley is on a bye this week and will not appear.
I will be interested to see how Ramon Foster and Keith Tandy are listed later today. This leads me to the tweet from Hamza Abdullah about him being knocked out (concussion) and then the team/league reported it as “poked in the eye”. Certainly times have changed from 2007 to now, however the need to “game” the system is always a clear and present danger with concussions. Once they enter the protocol the unrealistic thoughts are that a player is more scrutinized. Perhaps by some, but not here, our take is that we are pleased when players are reported. Again it’s not the injury that is the issue, rather the mismanagement of the injury.
I would also like to note that 31 of the 32 teams have now reported a concussion in either the preseason or the regular season. Only one team has yet to report a single concussion: Miami.
All of my “tin-hat” awareness done let us move on to the current numbers, concussions/head injuries through Week 8 (indicates previous weeks values);
- 8 concussions/head injuries found from Week 6 (6)
- 59 regular season concussions noted (51)
- 113 total concussions in 2013 (105)
- 7.37 Concussions/week (7.29)
- 125 Projected Concussions (123)
- 0.49 Concussions/game (.58)
- 8.52% InR (8.41)
- 7.39% EInR (7.30)
Running Totals for Regular Season:
- 30 Offensive (25) – 29 Defense (26)
- Positionally Speaking
- QB – 3 (3), RB – 6 (6), TE – 5 (3), WR – 9 (8), OL – 7 (5), DL – 5 (5), LB – 7 (6), DB – 17 (15)
- Team Breakdown
- JAX – 6
- NYJ – 5
- SD, WAS – 4
- DET, OAK, PIT – 3
- CAR, CIN, GB, HOU, KC, NE, PHI, SF, TB, TEN – 2
- ATL, BAL, CLE, DAL, DEN, IND, MIN, NO, NYG, SEA, STL – 1
- ARI, BUF, CHI, MIA – 0
Our definition of Incidence Rate (InR) is projected concussions/45 players taking the field per team per game, our definition of Epidemiological Incidence Rate (EInR) is projected concussions/53 man roster per team.
- Comparing to past seasons the following has been found after Week 8: # (2012, 2011, 2010):
- Regular Season Concussions – 59 (74, 68, 64)