The Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation has released their updated Guidelines for Concussion/mTBI & Persistent Symptoms: Second Edition, and it may be the most comprehensive/complete to this point.
The guidelines stretch from diagnosis through return with emphasis on “hang-ups” that can come along with recovery, here are the modules;
- Sports Related
- General Recommendations for Diagnosis/Assessment of Persistent Symptoms
- General Recommendations for Management of Persistent Symptoms
- Post-Traumatic Headache
- Persistent Sleep/Wake Disturbances
- Persistent Mental Health Disorders
- Persistent Cognitive Disorders
- Persistent Vestibular and Visual Disturbances
- Persistent Fatigue
- Return to Activity/Work/School
Of special note and to reference is all of these recommendations are for adults. That being said some of this can be “creatively adapted” for those in high school.
Here is the .pdf for the Sports Related Concussions/mTBI. All of it is worthy looking over; not only for athletic trainers but doctors as well.