One catcher returns, another goes on the DL for concussion. Carlos Santana of the Indians is scheduled to return from his stint on the DL for concussion while Angels Bobby Wilson was struck with a foul ball;
Bobby Wilson knew something was wrong when, while catching the second inning against the Seattle Mariners Monday night, he said he “felt like I could fall asleep right there behind home plate.”
Wilson took a foul ball off the facemask in the first and was replaced by John Hester in the bottom of the second. Tuesday, Wilson was put on the seven-day concussion disabled list and replaced on the roster by catcher Hank Conger, who was recalled from triple-A Salt Lake.
“It was the same feeling I had the last time,” said Wilson, who suffered a concussion in a plate collision with Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira in his first big league start on April 23, 2010. “My face felt like it was on fire. I was drowsy, fatigued, in a fog.”
NFL running back not thinking about future injury, nor should he. Javid Best of the Detroit Lions suffered his latest concussion last year and missed 11 weeks plus a big chunk of the off-season to recover, now he is ready for return;
Despite the increasing concerns about the danger of playing with concussions, Best insisted that doubts about his future in the game don’t creep into his mind.
“I’m not impaired or anything,” he said. “I’m pretty sure if there was real damage going on, I would have physical problems or mental problems — and I have no problems. So, I’m not worried about it.”
Best shouldn’t be worried if he has been given a clean bill of health. If Best were to play scared he would undoubtedly lose his job or be prone to more injury. The only problem with is statement above is that there was damage done – irreparable damage – I only hope everyone understands that, including Best.
New York begins new law next month. The concussion awareness act of New York will go into effect July 1st, the hope is that awareness will spur better assessment and management;
But along with research, Dr. Rieger and Nowinski believe there needs to be more awareness.
Although both think there’s more to do, they applauded the efforts of the state’s new “Concussion Management and Awareness Act.” It will require some school staff to be trained on the symptoms and treatment of concussions and will keep a student-athlete suffering, away from a sport until they are symptom-free and cleared by a doctor.
“Right now, if you think someone has a neck injury. It’s ‘woah, don’t move.’ No one says suck it up if you think you have a broken vertebrae. And so the idea is if we train, that all happened through years of education. So it will take years of education for people to respect that their brain is just as important as their neck,” said Nowinski of the work that needs to be done.
The new law goes into effect July 1st.
Down Under gets serious about concussions. The players association of the Australian Football League took a trip here to the States, Boston to be more exact, to learn more about the burgeoning problem;
AFLPA General Manager Ian Prendergast will present information around concussion to player representatives at a planned AFLPA board meeting next week, after meeting with researchers from the Centre for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy in America a fortnight ago.
Prendergast told AFL.com.au his trip confirmed that those involved in the AFL needed to find out much more about the potential short and long-term effects of concussion.
“It is certainly an issue we need to take seriously … and while the research that they are doing in the NFL may be instructive and we may able to draw some links between that and our game, we really need information that is directly relevant to the AFL,” Prendergast said.
Although they have visited BU, I have been on their case the longest here in the states, Good on ya!