In the most recent Journal of Athletic Training, Neal McGrath was published about the accommodations that may need to be made for concussed students. This topic is one that is commonly overlooked by those that care for the student-athlete that has a concussion. The every day tasks of walking in a hallway at a high school can be very difficult.
Below are the accommodations that were suggested, if you jump to the article you will see the rationale for each.
- Excused Absence
- Rest Periods During Day
- Extension of Assignments
- Postponement or Staggering of Tests
- Excuse from Specific Tests
- Extended Testing Time
- Accommodations to Sensitivity to Noise/Light
- Excuse from PE/Sports
- Avoid other Physical Exertion
- Use of Reader for Tests/Assignments
- Use of Note Taker/Scribe
- Use of Smaller/Quieter Testing Room
- Preferential Classroom Seating
- Use of Tutor