Subject: PSA release: NFL Players and Coaches stand together to cure ALSHi everyone…I hope this email finds you well…Just wanted to let you know that beginning today, we at Team Gleason are rolling out a new ALS awareness campaign to be introduced this week in New Orleans for the Super Bowl.Here’s a link to the video, which takes viewers directly to the Team Gleason website:
For many years the “government” has kept its collective mouth shut about happenings in sports. Occasionally they will make statements regarding the health of players in sports; case in point steroids and PED’s. The highest football league in the States and world has often had little resistance from “government” while doing business, until now.
The Department of Health and Human Services along with The Center for Disease Control and The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health have released an NFL Notification about brain and nervous system disorders. The NFL Notification can be found by clicking on the jump above. Here are the highlights;
- In general, brain and nervous system disorders were more than 3 times higher among players; 17 players died with Alzheimer’s, ALS, or Parkinson’s compared to 5 men in the U.S. (see graph).
- More speed position players died from these disorders compared to the non-speed position players.
- ALS was 4 times higher among players; 7 players died with ALS compared to fewer than 2 men in the U.S.
- Alzheimer’s was 4 times higher among players; 7 players died with Alzheimer’s compared to fewer than 2 men in the U.S.
- Parkinson’s was not increased among players compared to men in the U.S.
This is not “old” news rather, it is confirming what has already been known, but Continue reading