Inherent risks, of life and sport, are a constant issue none more controversial than concussions. The truth of the matter is that concussions will occur in life without sports so playing: hockey, lacrosse, basketball, baseball, water polo or any sport comes with differing amount of risks/chances of concussion. By playing those sports we should understand those risks and be willing to accept the chances of injury, particularly concussion.
As we have stated close to eleventybillion times now; the actual injury of concussion is not the issue of this crisis, rather it is the mismanagement of the injury that is the problem. In other words it’s not the sports fault for concussions, it the people’s fault for not taking this brain injury serious. Even worse, it is people in positions of power that have caused many to be “mishandled” after injury, bringing us to where we are today.
This is where Derek Sheely comes in; this young man died on a football field in Maryland as a result of head trauma and the purported facts in the case are very scary;
- Four hour contact practice
- “Preseason practices at Frostburg served more as a gladiatorial thrill for the coaches than learning sessions for the players… Practice involved virtually unlimited, full-contact, helmet-to-helmet collisions.”
- Named coach in lawsuit explicitly told players to lead with their head and use their hat when tackling
- Apparent lack of preventative medical care by an athletic trainer
- And this quote: “Stop your bitching and moaning and quit acting like a pussy and get back out there Sheely!”
We have yet to have full discovery in this case and most likely there will be a settlement Continue reading