The Concussion Blog Original, NFL Concussion Report, is a weekly compiling of the reported head injuries in the National Football League. Concussions are added to the list each week from multiple sources to give you the reader a picture of what is happening on the field. Each week we will bring you the information along with relevant statistics. If we have missed a concussion or put one on here erroneously, let us know (we will also be using Fink’s Rule to classify a concussion/head injury). It also should be noted that due to the league not disclosing actual injuries until Friday night there may be some added to next weeks numbers.
What if? What if the trend we are seeing continues? What does that mean?
Interesting and important questions; being mindful that this is one year out of four and we have yet to see a yearly trend of lower concussion numbers. Simply it means that, perhaps, the NFL is on the right path. The numbers are starting to become hard to ignore and we have what some like to call a “developing story.”
What I don’t want to see is those reporting on this to pontificate that the NFL has a handle on this issue, it will take a few more years of this type of reporting to proclaim that. All of that being said it is very interesting to us here and worthy of a deeper look. As we highlighted last week, it seems that policies are starting to take root.
The numbers are as follows for concussions/head injuries through Week 7 (indicates previous weeks values);
- 6 concussions/head injuries found from Week 6 (7)
- 45 regular season concussions noted (45)
- 105 total concussions in 2013 (99)
- 7.29 Concussions/week (7.50)
- 123 Projected Concussions (127)
- 0.48 Concussions/game (.50)
- 8.41% InR (8.66)
- 7.30% EInR (7.52)
Running Totals for Regular Season:
- 25 Offensive (22) – 26 Defense (23)
- Positionally Speaking
- QB – 3 (1), RB – 6 (6), TE – 3 (3), WR – 8 (8), OL – 5 (4), DL – 5 (4), LB – 6 (6), DB – 15 (13)
- Team Breakdown
- JAX, NYJ, SD, WAS – 4
- DET, OAK – 3
- CAR, GB, HOU, KC, NE, PHI, PIT, SF, TEN – 2
- ATL, BAL. CIN, CLE, DAL, DEN, IND, MIN, NYG, PHI, PIT, STL, TB – 1
- ARI, BUF, CHI, MIA, NO, SEA – 0
Our definition of Incidence Rate (InR) is projected concussions/45 players taking the field per team per game, our definition of Epidemiological Incidence Rate (EInR) is projected concussions/53 man roster per team.
- Comparing to past seasons the following has been found after Week 7: # (2012, 2011, 2010):
- Regular Season Concussions – 51 (64, 66, 60)